Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Gift

Last night, my son and I were having our usual pre-bedtime conversation.

Knowing that we live in a country with mixed religion, races and culture, I try my best to teach him about the Catholic faith he was born into. So I take these bedtime rituals as an opportunity to discuss things with him without sounding too preachy.

Since he likes listening to music before going to sleep (usually Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror", ad nauseam), I sang one of my favourite church hymns as a child, which was "Jesus, My Friend". I was telling him Jesus is our Father, yet He is also our friend.

After listening to the song, my son asked me where I learned it. I told him I went to a Catholic school, and so I learned the song as a little girl. He looked at me and said, "So I was listening to you while you were singing it?" I understand my son does not have a very firm concept of time yet, not quite grasping what is the past, present and future. I endeavoured to explain it, in simpler terms:


MOMMY:  No, you were not listening in because you weren't born yet.
SON: (PUZZLED LOOK) Where was I?
MOMMY: You were still in Heaven because you were still an angel.
SON: I was with my Father, Jesus? (MOMMY NODS) How did I get here?
MOMMY: (NERVOUSLY ANTICIPATING A BIRDS-AND-THE-BEES CONVERSATION) Daddy and I prayed for you. You were Papa Jesus' very special gift to us.
SON: (FACE BRIGHTENING UP WITH A CHARMING SMILE) Did I come in a box?


Photo courtesy of Getty Images

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your son is adorable :)

iluzionada said...

thanks :) wait till tala starts talking ;)