Thursday, July 27, 2006

Rainy Day Musings

Finally, the big event is over.

I'm kind of ambivalent on the turnout, though...in terms of attendance, it way exceeded our expectations. Imagine, we were only prepared for 120 people, max, but the actual headcount soared to 170. A happy problem, indeed!

However, in terms of organization, I felt that I could've done better. I don't want to pass the blame on other people, but I honestly think that there were just too many changes, too many departments dipping into the project, that, in the end, we were the ones who suffered. Plus, it just sucks that the people who were supposed to be spearheading this project in the first place were all acting like prissy little bitches...their royal highnesses just wanted to sit prettily in their gowns; they're fast to pass the ball back at us whenever we try to get their support. At times, they go as far as abandoning their post. Every year, each time we hold events like these, they act like pampered brats, when, in fact, they should be the ones busting their asses to put everything together. If only all the decisions could come from our end, then, perhaps, things could have been a little better.

I also felt that we were seriously undermanned...like I said, attendance exceeded our expectations, and the simple and quiet event that we had in mind did not quite turn out like that. Come to think of it, the music playing during set-up could've been prophetic: "that's not the way we planned it, that's not the way we planned our lives..."

Oh well, what's done is done. At least we were able to see it through.

On a lighter note, after that brouhaha was over and done with, I got to spend four lovely days with my son. Oh, and last Saturday, my hubby and I even treated him to his first day out! Actually, what started it was his scheduled visit to the doctor for his immunization...since it was a Saturday, my hubby's family decided to come with us so we could drop them off at a nearby mall. And, because it was a weekend, you could just imagine the queue to the pediatrician's office, Heavens, it was a virtual kiddie party at the lobby.

To make the long story short, we left the doctor's office at around 1:00 pm (after lining up from 9:00 am, Jesus...!), and hubby and I decided to go along to the mall to do our grocery shopping as well.

My son's eyes were just ENORMOUS when we were going around! It was thrilling to see him so excited about everything...for me, it's like seeing my world in an entire new light. At first, we brought him around in his stroller, but we decided to pick up a baby carrier, and in the end, it was a really wise decision for us because he was afforded a better view. The little sweetie just didn't want to close his eyes. He even forgot to ask for his bottle, immersed as he was with his surroundings. However reluctant I was to bring him out that day, my doubts were quickly erased after seeing his expression...now, I can't wait to plan our next "excursion" =) And, happily, the little angel forgot the pain from his shots.

My experience with my son that day made me mull over some points in my life today. This morning, I was going through some of my Friendster friends' blogs, and I'm just...amazed...? fascinated...? shocked...? that, like them, my days are filled with so many worries, so many concerns that, to a baby like my son, all seem unimportant. To him, a day begins with a bright, happy smile and ends with a contented little snore...and everything in between is just sunshine and laughter. Sure, he has his crying moments, but those quickly pass by and are soon replaced with his coos and happy shrieks. And all the things he sees are just indescribably exciting.

Just when did we [adults] lose our fascination with the world? When have we ceased to find joy in a ray of sunshine, delight in a colorful flower? When did we start drowning in worldly concerns...and when will it ever stop?

I envy my son his peace of mind and his happy little thoughts. If only I could keep him protected forever.

No comments: