Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Bag's Life

I remember a time (a veeeery long time ago, if I may add) when I could go out the house without a bag. Much to the chagrin of my fashionista mother (who, in true Imeldific style, maintained a plethora of bags, shoes, various accessories, jewellery...the works), I insisted on sticking everything in the pockets of my jeans, and anything that doesn't fit either gets left behind or enjoys instant accommodation in her purse.

Fast-forward a decade hence and here I am, getting those occasional gentle scoldings from my husband, who is convinced I'm close to developing scoliosis because of the bag I constantly carry. I haven't gone around weighing it yet, but I think it weighs close to three kilos.

Here's my load on a regular work day:
Cosmetic bag - which normally contains foundation, concealer, powder, 12-colour eyeshadow palette, blusher, various make-up brushes, eyeliner, lip gloss, lipliner, lipstick and mascara, plus a comb. My eyelash curler doesn't fit in the pouch, but if it did, I'd bring it along in a heartbeat. Hey, a girl has to be pretty, right?

A bottle of perfume - because a girl's got to smell pretty, too, even after a long day.

My purple umbrella - you never know when it's gonna rain (although, weirdly, I rarely use it because I find umbrellas too cumbersome...I carry one just in case I change my mind).

Marlboro Medium - and a lighter, of course.

A pack of tissue - because you don't want to eat at the hawkers without it. On top of that, I also have a handkerchief.

A change of undies - plus feminine pads and pantiliners. Because I never want to be caught unprepared (even if I'm as regular as clockwork).

MP3 player - it's a staple for a Singapore commute.

Plus:
Mobile phone
Wallet and coin purse
Hand sanitiser
Pen and small notebook
Candy
Sunglasses
Any book I'm reading at the moment
My breakfast (usually a sandwich)
Fan (it gets hot, okay)
Name card holder
Rosary - not that I use it, but it's been my constant companion since 2nd year high school. I never leave home without it.
Thumb drive
House keys
Nipper (for those pesky hangnails)

No wonder my bag weighs at least three kilos! Come to think of it, it's a good thing I have an office cabinet where I can leave my phone chargers and organiser, not to mention that I don't lug around my laptop anymore as I refuse to take home my work.

That's a normal working day for my bag. On a family day out, my bag heaves even more with a change of clothes and various odds and ends for my son (water bottle, wet wipes, snacks, etc.), and a few things that don't fit in my husband's pockets.

Well, such is the life of a working mother, I discovered. Which is why I can never get around using those teeny-weeny purses that are gathering dust in my wardrobe. And which is also why my husband has taken to bringing me big bags from his overseas trips (much to my endless delight).

So, what's in your bag?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, now I know I am not the only one who has her house inside her bag.

my mom and sister Anne often chide me for my bag being heavier than my own weight (yeah, and I am all of...never mind my weight!)

I don't have my makeup things with me except for one or two lipsticks (as I keep my cosmetic/kikay kit in my office locker) but I have my medicine bag, wallet, lotion, phone, perfume, and other small things inside, which make my bag rather heavy. Actually, my wallet alone is enough to put pressure on my back. so yeah, that contributed most probably to my aching back. oh well... talk about being a girl!

iluzionada said...

it's all those small things that make our bags heavier. not to mention last week's trash (at least for my bag, hahaha).

Anonymous said...

i'm a big bag kind of a girl too! i carry everything but the kitchen sink! i actually think my right shoulder is a bit lopsided already. i can never do with those tiny purses. that's always a dilemma for me when it comes to evening formals.

iluzionada said...

evening formals...i commiserate! i put in my mobile phone, compact and lipstick, and that's the end of the usefulness of those teeny purses.