Friday, October 9, 2009

Bitten by the bookworm

(Does one get bitten by a bookworm, or does one accidentally bite into one (gross)?)

A few days ago, I was itching to read. I was in the office and I wanted to take an early day off because I JUST HAD TO BUY A NEW BOOK. I don't know why but the feeling was that urgent. So as soon as the clock hit 6:30pm, I ran out the office and went out of my usual route home, just so I can pass through the bookstore.

Here's my loot:

Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat Pray Love


Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore


Jodi Picoult's Salem Falls

En route to the bookstore, I promised myself I would only get one title to satisfy my reading lust. Of course, no matter how hard I try to keep my resolution, it never happens. Although I'd have to say my guilt feelings were a bit assuaged as I got the last two titles on a "buy one, take one" promotion :) On this side of the world, books are a wee bit more expensive than in good old Manille; on average, a paperback costs $17.99, or almost Php600.00. So snagging it under the promo price, that's about $8.99 per title, or around Php300.00 each. Not bad, right? And so, with that triumphant little victory, I proceeded to purchase a third book under the regular price, hahaha (greedy little me)!

Books have always been a personal extravagance. Although, when I think about it, it's not exactly an "extravagance". I write for a living, and so I take it upon myself to continuously expose myself to good writers. Plus, I'd like to think I'm setting a good example for my son. I'm glad to note that he seems to be a voracious reader (I didn't even know he knew how to read - and he just turned three at the time!). That being said, I have to be extra careful now about the titles I pick up and the cover illustrations, because he always asks me what I am reading, and he can already read the title all by himself.

And while I have not even taken two books out of their shrink wraps, I'm already greedily eyeing a few more titles, most of them sourced from this website:

The Sookie Stackhouse series - this was the basis of the hit series, "True Blood" (Dead Until Dark, Living Dead in Dallas, Club Dead, Dead to the World, Dead as a Doornail, Definitely Dead, All Together Dead, From Dead to Worse, A Touch of Dead)
The Artemis Fowl series (Artemis Fowl, The Arctic Incident, The Eternity Code, The Opal Deception, The Lost Colony, The Time Paradox)
The Monster of Florence, Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi
Memoirs of my Melancholy Whores, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Uncommon Reader, Alan Bennett
Nineteen Minutes, Jodi Picoult
Eye Contact, Cammie McGovern
My Friend Leonard, James Frey
The Lovely Bones, Alice Sebold
Swift as Desire, Laura Esquivel
Merrick, Anne Rice
Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging, Louise Rennison (but how will I explain this one to my son?)
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, Patrick Suskind (now how do I put the blasted umlaut on his surname?)

There's also Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol, which just hit the book stands. I'm a big fan of Brown and Robert Langdon, but something tells me this just might not live up to my expectations (he might be giving in to publisher pressure, for all I know). That one ranks on the bottom of my to-read list. Let's see how many of these titles I get to strike out...assuming I would remain faithful and not be distracted by the thousands of other paperbacks out there!

So I look forward to this weekend surrounded by the smell of new books. Looks like I'm gonna be keeping a few late (but happy!) nights.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I have emailed you, I am hoping to have a copy of eat pray love in a few minutes, God-willing :-)

haruki murakami and jodi picoult i have yet to try, but i'd love to...

ready steve berry. pareho sila ng genre ni dan brown but i like steve berry better. hehehe.

I sooo envy you having more "me" time to read. wala ako halos niyan. but it's ok. mahirap talga pag two piglets ang nag-aagawan. yun lang nga i'd stay intact while they're pulling me to different directions is already a feat. "me" time pa kaya. hahahhha!

iluzionada said...

Well, that "me" time is the time spent commuting to and from work. I can't read at home because as soon as the little boy sees me holding a book, he would ask endless questions! Weekend nights would probably be the best time for some uninterrupted reading.

I'm sure you're more than glad to give up your reading time for some quality time with the kids. And just one kiss or hug from them makes it well worth it ;)

Dementia On The Road said...

Here's my 2 cents' worth:

The Sookie Stackhouse series - I'm eyeing that too.

The Artemis Fowl series - I think you know that i have read the series. Loved it.

Nineteen Minutes, Jodi Picoult - I read My Sister's Keeper. I liked it. I didn't watch the movie though. I thought I'd be disappointed and I don't need that in my life.

The Lovely Bones, Alice Sebold - Lovely story. made me cry.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, Patrick Suskind (now how do I put the blasted umlaut on his surname?)- i watched the movie. I think it would be better in its book version.

The Lost Symbol- finished already. But i will not tell you what i think. I want you to decide if you will read it first.

your friend, keekaye, mentioned Steve Berry. I just might try him and see if I will enjoy him like I have Dan Brown.

iluzionada said...

D, my rule of thumb is that movie versions are always disappointing, thus I read the book first, then decide whether I'll watch or not. So I would believe your assessments on "Perfume" and "Nineteen Minutes".

I read the teaser chapter of AF and I LOVE IT!!! I'll probably purchase them next month when payday comes around :) And I guess Steve Berry is worth a try...but first let me get my hands on AF hehe.