Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Growing old, Desperate Housewives-style

It may seem an irony for a full-blooded production person like me, but I rarely watch TV. I used to, in heavy doses, but that was when I was much, much younger. The time when I didn't drift off to sleep within five minutes of staring at the tube.

However, there are some TV series that occasionally catch my attention and have me looking forward to new episodes every week. Desperate Housewives is one of them. I find the characters funny, the plot engaging, and the writing style equally witty and insightful. I think that if I were half as good as their writers there, that would be my writing style, too (although I do not think I would make a racial slur like they did one time, but that is a separate issue altogether). I was watching an episode last night and one particular scene touched me.


Two of the characters, husband and wife Tom and Lynette Scavo (played by Doug Savant and Felicity Huffman), were having an argument. As a quick background, Tom wanted to have plastic elective surgery done to his face. He felt that the years have taken their toll on his features, and he's blaming what he perceives as his unsavoury appearance for his lack of employment. He is convinced that prospective employers give him a cursory once-over during interviews, and he immediately loses out to the next fresh graduate sitting in the waiting room. Apart from his increasing insecurity stemming from Lynette's flourishing career, his ego received a further bruising when they chanced upon an old classmate who looked about 10 years younger than Tom did. And Lynette just happened to rub salt into his wounds when she laughingly remarked, "Seriously? You two were classmates? You were IN THE SAME CLASS?!"

Lynette tried dissuading Tom from the procedure. Of course, there was the money issue; they had several school-age kids plus a toddler in a single-income household. She is also afraid that once Tom's outward appearance improves, he would think she looks unsightly and would dump her for a pretty young thing. She went as far as inviting an officemate to their house - someone who had a botched-up surgery - just so she could drive her point in. But Tom is adamant. And as they argued in the kitchen, far from their guest's hearing, Lynette revealed her true reasons for not wanting him to go under the knife.

Lynette said she did not look at Tom's lines as wrinkles, but as a map of their life together. Each crease represented an important event. The thought lines on his forehead, "That's you worrying about how to provide for us." The frown marks, "That's my cancer" (she is a cancer survivor). The crow's feet at the corners of his eyes, "That's all the laughter we shared together." Needless to say, Tom relented and did not pursue the surgery.

Touching and true. Each moment of laughter, each heartbreaking instance, the marching years make sure that they are all indelibly etched into our countenance. Most of us choose to pay attention to the superficial; I, for one, am guilty of that (I find myself increasingly attracted to wrinkle-control creams, and I actually keep a nightly regimen to keep the creases at bay).

But, perhaps, what we must all aim to do is to look beyond the sagging skin and diminishing youth, and focus on how well we journeyed using the Maps of our Lives. And it is only when we are truly happy with our life's voyage can we stand in front of the mirror, look at those wrinkles without batting a heavily-mascara'd eyelash, and still say that, "I am beautiful."

I hope to remain beautiful for my husband. And I pray that, someday, many years from now, despite my age and outwardly appearance, he will continue to bestow me with the same loving look and say, "You are still my beautiful wife."



Tom and Lynette's photo courtesy of ABC.
Old couple's photo courtesy of Getty Images. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww...

a few days ago, bong and I were just talking about the same things. He unabashedly declared I look beautiful that morning (of all the days--at the time, we were still in the hospital where Kara was confined and that morning, I hadn't even washed my face or brushed my teeth as I just woke up.eew, i know). But there he was, smiling at me while looking at my face and I thought, what did i do to deserve that beautiful remark from him? I guess I am really blessed to have a husband who sees beyond my physical flaws (I am neither physically beautiful nor sexy) but those imperfections are made perfect because of this person.

And I am pretty sure Aymer will always see you as one. We're lucky to have husbands who appreciate the real beauty in us. hehe :-)

iluzionada said...

i will be amongst the first ones to argue that you are not beautiful (what, all your suitors like ugly girls?) nor sexy (you have three kids to prove how, ahem, desirable you are hehe). and i think that if your husband stumbles upon this conversation, he will have more things to say about this matter.

i guess being proactive in our prayers helped bless us with wonderful husbands. i recall that, when i was ready for a lifelong commitment, i never asked for a wealthy, dashing Adonis...i only asked my Divine Writer to bless me with a good man who will love me as much as i loved him. and, wouldn't you know it, He listened :)

Anonymous said...

haha! amen to that. ako din kaya talagang pinagdasal ko din yang makulit na yan. :-) buti na lang both of us are assertive women. hehehe. birds of the same feather...you know the drill.

miss you, mare! it's better to talk about these things when we're face to face, you know...

iluzionada said...

yeah, i know. we have lots to catch up on next time we see each other. miss you, too!

Anonymous said...

ay naku mare! that's what i've been telling her... kaya nga di ko na pinakawalan 'yan e!

anyhow, what am trying to say siguro is that i'm glad that i've accomplished that goal of having a great family, and it's even more rewarding kasi it was still kaye all along (talk about 9 years diba?). kaya forever i am thankful that in all those years (nabasted, naging waiting, spectator, nagpantasya, etc.) kaye gave me that best chance to be with her. and sobrang happy ako kasi finally magkasama na kami... for life! talap tlaga na ng buhay! haaayyy...

iluzionada said...

things that are worthwhile never come easy, so that's probably the reason why you had to go through all that :) nag-uusap naman kayo ng asawa ko, diba, so malamang nagkakaintindihan kayo hahaha ;)

anyway, now's the time to cherish your time with them because you deserve what you worked hard for. glad to see that you guys have a wonderful family life. keep working on it :)

Dementia On The Road said...

Hehe! OP ako, being a full-fledged singleton (as in no husband, no partner, no boyfriend, no boy toy, no dates, no suitors.)

But reading the post and the comments exchange made me happy for girls like you.

iluzionada said...

pardon the cheesiness, hehe :) the loving couple outnumbered me.