Monday, December 7, 2009

Home for the Holidays

...is exactly what I would like to be, but unfortunately, I will be spending another Yuletide season here in Lah-Lah-Land. That's two years in a row. Sigh.

With less than 20 days to go before Christmas Day, I feel all sorts of nostalgic thinking about the fun traditions I'll be missing out on. So I compiled the Top 10 things I miss about Christmas at home (in no particular order):

  1. Food - a Filipino holiday is just an excuse to shamelessly indulge in cholesterol-laden, heart-attack inducing, waistline-growing dishes like there's no tomorrow. I always took the fiesta ham for granted, but I found it conspicuously missing from our table last year (ham just doesn't taste the same here). And what I wouldn't give for the lechon and the ever-reliable lechon paksiw the following day. Puto bumbong and bibingka are also sorely missed.
  2. Someone else to plan the holiday spread for you - Now that I'm the one doing the planning for the Noche Buena and Media Noche feasts, I do appreciate my mother's time and effort. I never knew it could be so stressful! Hats off to you, Ma!
  3. The crisp Christmas chill - it's a bit colder here now, but not nearly as nippy as December nights back home. It seems absurd listening to "Winter Wonderland" when you're all drenched in sweat.
  4. Tinsel-laden streets and homes - living in a multiracial community has its drawbacks, foremost of which is the lack of yuletide spirit! If you don't go to the central business district, or to the homes of your fellow Pinoys, chances are you won't be seeing any glitter or tinsel. Where I'm at, Christmas is just like a regular Sunday - an extra day off work, and more excuses for shopping. Our company keeps business hours on the 24th and 31st, mind you (although I do plan to take half-day leaves for Christmas and New Year's Eve, at the very least).
  5. Gifts - at the risk of sounding materialistic, I do miss the gaily-wrapped parcels. I miss the unexpected packages waiting for me on my desk or beside my pillow (especially if it's from one of your subordinates or younger family members - no matter how small the present is, I am always very touched by the thought that goes with the token). And I sorely miss wrapping presents for family and friends - it's my favourite thing to do (my family knows that absolutely no one else can touch the wrapping paper and adhesive!).
  6. The Starbucks planner - oh, yes, I so miss the daily pilgrimage to the nearest Starbucks branch to get my stickers. I know I fell for the sick marketing ploy, but, well, one of the owners is a personal acquaintance so maybe I'm willing to be a bit of a sucker :) But, no, I will not be asking her to send me a planner. Where's the thrill in that?!
  7. Christmas parties - do I sound sick yet? Well, maybe I am - HOMEsick, more like it. I used to hate attending these, but since Christmas parties here are virtually non-existent (save, perhaps, for MNCs or other bigger companies), I do miss the fun and silliness of it all (and the ensuing inebriation).
  8. Christmas plugs on TV and radio - there's a smattering of that here, but they don't feel the same as ours do. They're not as warm as how we do them. Our TVCs and RCs back home make you feel as if you're stepping into a Hallmark card, or getting on the Coca-Cola Christmas train with Santa.
  9. Family and friends - need I explain?
  10. Alvin and the Chipmunks - this is one of my little quirks, but Christmas just doesn't feel Christmas-y if I don't hear "Christmas Don't Be Late". The silly song heralds the season of cheers for me! And they don't play it here!
I do hope we get to go home for next year's Yuletide celebration, though. Cliche, trite...but there really is no place like home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aw... sorry you're missing out on a lot (OK, i think i just rubbed it in.) but now that you just put that "less-than-20-days-to-go thing,I suddenly panicked! I'm not yet through with my Christmas shopping. in fact, i haven't done much. i feel so disoriented eversince we got out of the hospital.

anyways, my take on your list:

1. Yeah, lechon and the lechon paksiw. I guess we're not the only ones who do this no? and yeah, there's just something so addicting about feasting on those foods during Christmas season when i normally don't notice them any other time. guess it's the thought of sharing your feast with family and relatives that makes eating these fun.

2. I am the one perpetually assigned to cook pasta, so guess i won't really mind preparing this. but all the other things we're going to eat...well, yeah, you made your point there quite clearly. and thinking about it, I really appreciate the effort my mom puts on every feast--be it Christmas or otherwise.

3. Mainit ba diyan? didn't know that... dito kasi mahangin na talaga, especially where I am at.

4. We just hung our parol the other day. a bit late if you ask me, but that's because it came from my MIL. It was nice of her to buy us one. I've long wanted to have a Christmas tree inside the house but the little rascals would just tear it down the moment they see it, so there...

5. I also love giving and receiving gifts, but mostly giving gifts to the kids. their appreciation for whatever you give them is just so overwhelming sometimes. like you are god to them. :-) at shempre, lumabas na naman ang pagka-OC mo, mare. nobody can touch the wrapping paper and adhesive. ha!

6. never went for that marketing promo so I can't relate. and because of this, i would gladly accept a starbucks planner from the owner-friend if she decides to give me one. haha. figured i wouldn't mind not completing it by buying all those caffeine-induced drinks.

7. We're not having a Christmas party here... just lunch salu salo. Budget cuts, that's why. but what matters is the spirit in which it will be done.

8. yep, we're full of those TVCs and RCs. the other day, I saw Aga's TVC on his annual toy donation program, which reminds me, I have to sort toys to give away...

9. yep, family and friends. nuff said. just come home, will you?

10. haha! for some reason, I have a friend-officemate who hates the chipmunks, but like you, christmas just won't be Christmas without that song. and now, if you'll excuse me, i'd better play the album in my office pc. :-)

iluzionada said...

sigh. even with all the incentives waiting for me back home, it's a no-show this year for us again, i'm afraid. especially since the little boy is starting school january 4. i think we'll tire him out with the flurry of christmas and new year activities. not to mention that the airfare will put a major dent on our wallets (roundtrip fare for all four of us will cost SGD1,200 upwards - and that's not including the gifts and whatnots for everyone else!).

anyway, i'm looking forward to going home for my birthday. it falls on a school holiday so let's keep our fingers crossed :)