Thursday, May 5, 2011

The other man

You were born on this day many summers ago.

Since the beginning, ours was a complicated relationship. Although we both know that our connection was never simple. But I loved you. Yes, in my own special way, I loved you.

I still do.

Yours is the kind of love my husband can never give me.

I've longed for your loving embrace for as long as I can remember. Without meaning to sound ungrateful for all the blessings I have, I look at others exchanging loving looks and feel a tinge of regret for that which we never had. For what we allowed to slip through our hands.

I know I've always said I want to live life without regrets. But sometimes I still think of all those missed chances. All those what-ifs.

What if I had more time with you?
What if you spent more time with me?
What if I knew you better?
What if you knew me better?
What if I fought harder for you?
What if you fought harder for me?

I'll never know.

All those firsts and lasts we've missed out on, we'll never have them back.

My first steps.
My first words.
My first day in school.
My first date.
My first heartbreak.
My first-born.

Your last day at work.
Your last vacation.
Your last cup of coffee.
Your last farm harvest.
Your last words.
Your last breath.

But in spite of all those things, I still thank you.

I thank you for teaching me acceptance. How all things that come to pass happen for a reason.

I thank you for teaching me strength. How the loudest voices can be found in the silence of one's heart.

I thank you for teaching me faith. How you can always find something to believe in even when all else fails.

I thank you for teaching me the meaning of unconditional love. How it is measured not by how much it receives, but how much it gives.

Papa, so many things were left unsaid between us. And while I may never know what's on your mind, you can now see inside my heart.

But if there's any "firsts" that I will never forget, it's that you taught me the very first song I know:

I wanna give
I wanna give my love to you completely
I beg of you
I beg of you to listen to my heart.

I've never prayed like this before
But I'm asking you not to close the door
For I can tame the wind and smooth the waters
If you just let me.

I wanna give
I wanna give you all the strength within me
To make a world
To make a world that cannot fall apart.

And you can sit upon a throne
And I'll give it all just for you alone
For I can tame the wind and smooth the waters
If you just let me.

The first song I've ever learnt is perhaps the last solid earthly link I have to you. And it will be the only song that will be in my heart for eternity.

I love you, Papa. Happy birthday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautifully-written. happy birthday to your papa!

iluzionada said...

thank you, A :)