Thursday, May 26, 2011

Spoiler Brats

Obviously, this is a rant-related post.

Today is the American Idol Season 10 finale. As expected, there are some who just couldn't resist posting the results.

It's probably my fault that I checked my FB and Twitter accounts right before the winner was declared. Serves me right. Now I know who the winner is even before I've seen the show.

What is it with certain people's desire to announce to the world that they're the first to know? Is it a childish impulse? Is it a deep seated wish to be superior to everyone else? Or is it simply to annoy others? And I'm not just talking about AI results. It could be a boxing match, the Oscars, the FIFA championship match...you know, those things that you'd rather watch from start to finish. Reminds me of that one time many years ago when I said I wanted to watch "The Sixth Sense", and my colleague pointed out that Bruce Willis was a ghost. Thank goodness she hasn't found her way to my friend's list (yet).

I know that some of those who post the spoilers probably just forget the fact that we live in different time zones. That's an honest mistake and it's forgivable. But I'm sure that, on your friend's list, you can readily identify who the spoiler brats are.

I have a few on my list. And my expectations did not fail me. They did post the information on their status messages.

I know that in this day and age, things like that are inescapable. Events are already on the news as they unfold. One of the pitfalls of technology, I guess. I just wish that some individuals would learn to be a bit more sensitive (especially if most of their friends live in the same time zone as theirs!). And if it isn't the most ironic of ironies, they themselves are some of the most sensitive and reactionary people I know...as if the world owes them sensitivity when they themselves are not ready to give it.

The "unfriend" button lurks somewhere and is giving me a knowing look. It's probably a better friend at this point.

No comments: